Encyclopedia articles can save you time by quickly providing succinct, historical definitions of terms and concepts as well as an overview of a topic, often including references to the major books and articles in a subject area. Try comparing what you have found in Wikipedia with these subject encyclopedias in the library subscription database GVRL (Gale Virtual Reference Library) .
Five of the 120 encyclopedias in GVRL are especially relevant to education. You can search them directly or as part of the combined database.
Encyclopedia of Diversity in Education (2012, 4 vols) from Gale
Encyclopedia of Education 2nd ed. (2003) from Gale
World Education Encyclopedia (2002, 3 vols) from Gale
Encyclopedia of Research Design (2010, 3 vols) from Gale
International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences (2008, 9 vols) from Gale
Print Reference Sources
Encyclopedias and handbooks present articles about most major topics and content areas in Education. These titles are located in the Reference Collection on the first floor of the Library. They are NOT included in the GVRL database.
- Encyclopedia of Educational Research 4 vols. (ref LB 15 E48 1992)
- Education Week Guide to K-12 Terminology (ref LB 15 E335 2009)
- Encyclopedia of the Social and Cultural Foundations of Education 2 vols. (ref LB 17 E53 2009)
- Encyclopedia of School Psychology (ref LB 1027.55 E523 2005)
- Handbook of Research on Teaching (ref LB 1028 H315 2001)
- Handbook of Research for Educational Communications and Technology (ref LB 1028.3 H355 2004)
- Psychology of Classroom Learning: An Encyclopedia 2 vols. (ref LB 1060 P89 2009)
- Handbook of Research on the Education of Young Children (ref LB 1119 H25 2006)
- Handbook of Research on Curriculum (ref LB 1570 H264 1992)
- Handbook of Research on Literacy and Diversity (ref LB 1576 H2337 2009)
- Handbook of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts (ref LB 1576 H234 2003)
- Handbook of Research on Social Studies Teaching and Learning (ref LB 1584 H275 1991)
- Handbook of Research on Teacher Education (ref LB 1715 H274 1996)
- Alternative Teacher Certification (ref LB 1771 A47 2007)
- Standards and Schooling in the U.S., an Encyclopedia (ref LB 2822.82 S82 2001)
- Praeger Handbook of Religion and Education in the U.S. 2 vols. (ref LC111 P78 2009)
- Handbook of Research on Multicultural Education (ref LC 1099.3 H35 2004)
- Encyclopedia of Giftedness, Creativity and Talent 2 vols. (ref LC3993.2 E53 2009)
- Encyclopedia of Special Education 3 vols. (ref LC 4007 E53 2007)
- New Handbook of Research on Music Teaching and Learning (ref MT 1 N48 2002)
- Encyclopedia of English Studies and Language Arts (ref PE 65 E47 1994)
- Handbook of Research on Science Teaching and Learning (ref Q 181 A1 H35 1994)
- Second Handbook of Research on Mathematics Teaching and Learning (ref QA 11 S365 2007)
There have historically been two primary indexes, or databases, for education. The first is Education Index (ref L 11 E45 1929-2002). It is now available as part of the OmniFile Full Text Mega database, but the print volumes are still useful as a clue to how topics have been labeled and treated over time.
The second is ERIC. 1966-to-date. This is a comprehensive index to journal articles (EJ numbers), documents (ED numbers), and some books. A Search Strategy Worksheet outlines a four-step process for creating a strategy for searching ERIC (or any other database) effectively. The official ERIC Web Page is freely available, but does not provide either the search capabilities or the links to fulltext for journals that are included in vendor versions.
N.B., In ERIC, reports with ED numbers are generally online, especially after 1992: look for the full-text link in the record. If the numbers are lower than ED 350000, they may be on microfiche; check the Library Catalog.
Warning: There is a current problem with full text availabilty of ED reports...see "Notes" on the official ERIC Web Page for updates.
Vendor versions of ERIC (FirstSearch ERIC, Proquest ERIC, Ebsco ERIC) also provide specialized services including alerts, saved searches, and multiple database searching. Sign in (create your own username and login) to activate these services with each vendor.
Selected journals, now primarily available online via the databases. Call numbers for older issues available in the HSU Library are provided along with links to the website for the journal.
- Art Education (Per N 81 A86)
- California Schools (Per LB 2831 C35)
- Childhood Education (Per L 11 C5)
- Educational Leadership (Per L 11 E443)
- English Education (Per LA 632 E52)
- English Journal (Per PE 1 E5)
- Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy (Per LB 1050 J58)
- Journal of Literacy Research (Per LB 1050 J6)
- Language Arts (Per LB 1576 A1 E6)
- Leadership (Per L 11 T57)
- Magazine of History (Per D 16.3 M33)
- Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School (Per LC 1099.3 M82)
- Multicultural Education (Per LJ 121 P4)
- Multicultural Review (Per HT 1501 M9)
- Phi Delta Kappan (Per LJ 121 P4)
- Principal (Per L 13 N231)
- Reading Research Quarterly (Per LB 1050 R42)
- Reading Teacher (Per LB 1573 R28)
- Review of Educational Research (Per L 11 R35)
- Science and Children (Per LB 1585 S3)
- Science Teacher (Per Q 181 S38)
- Social Education (Per H 62 A1 S6)
- Social Studies Review (Per LB 1584 S639)
- Teaching Children Mathematics (Per QA 135.5 T42)
- TESOL Journal (Per PE 1128 A2 T4518)
AERA Open Access Journals in the Field of Education (Links to electronic journals that are scholarly, peer-reviewed, fulltext, and freely accessible)(Add / Edit Text