Here are some recommended subject encyclopedias available through the subscription database, Gale Virtual Reference Library, at the HSU Library. These are a great way to begin your research, by getting an overview of your topic, from the perspective of multiple disciplines.
- Child Development
- Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society
- Encyclopedia of Research Design
- Gale Encyclopedia of Psychology
- International Encyclopedia of Marriage and Family
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences
- Learning and Memory
Gale Virtual Reference Library Combined search for 120 fulltext reference works, including these.
Print Reference Sources
Here are some subject encyclopedias in the print Reference Collection:
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Social and Cultural Anthropology (ref GN 307 E25 2010, 2nd ed)
- Handbook of Emergent Methods (ref H 62 H24536 2008)
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology(ref HM 425 B53 2007, 11 vols
- Encyclopedia of infant and early childhood development (ref HQ767.84 .E53 2008)
- Handbook of Research on the Education of Young Children (ref LB 1119 H25 2006)
- Early childhood intervention : shaping the future for children with special needs and their families (ref LC4019.2 .E25 2011, 3 vols)
- Encyclopedia of clinical child and pediatric psychology ( RJ503.3 .E53 2003 )
Here's a Guide to Annotated Bibliographies.
A review article is a specialized form of a journal article: it can cover a lot of territory for you and save you time as you do your own literature review.
- Advances in Child Development and Behavior (BF 721 A45, 1963-to date)
- Advances in Clinical Child Psychology (RJ 503.3 A37, 1977-1998//)
- Annual Progress in Child Psychiatry and Child Development (RJ 499 A1 A53) [1968-2002]
- Annual Review of Psychology (BF 30 A56, 1950-2004) (see Journal and Newspaper Finder for more recent issues)
- Annual Review of Sociology (HM 1 A763,1975-2004) (see Journal and Newspaper Finder for more recent issues)
- Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development (JSTOR, 1935-2007) (see Journal and Newspaper Finder for more recent issues)
- Sociological Studies & Child Development (HQ 767.8 S65) [1986-1991]