Find a Short Story Online
There is a great deal of older and contemporary poetry easily accessible on the web. Here are a few fulltext websites especially recommended for poetry:
- Bartleby.com - The poetry here is in the public domain (not copyrighted), published before 1923.
- Poets.org - This site is sponsored by the Academy of American Poets and features many contemporary poets as well as earlier ones.
- The University of Michigan Digital Library Text Collections has three collections of interest. Choose Browse from the main page, then scroll down to the Poetry section for links to the individual collections. They can be searched or browsed.
- American Verse Project
- British Women Romantic Poets
- Williams Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience
- Contemporary American Poetry - Out of print contemporary volumes are archived here. See "about the archive" for conditions of use.
Find a Short Story in the HSU Library
Long, separately published poems, such as The Faerie Queene, Paradise Lost, La Chanson de Roland, El Cid Campeador, the Waste Land, or The Odyssey, can be found in the HSU Library catalog by title (and by author, if one is known).
Most poems are not published individually and are instead included in anthologies, periodicals, or in collections of a single author's work. The library has indexes that cover some poetry anthologies and poetry in periodicals. Below are some examples in the Reference Collection on the 1st floor. For help in using these indexes, please come to the Research Help desk.
- Subject Index to Poetry REF PN 1021 B7
- Granger's Index to Poetry REF PN 1022 G7
- Hoffman's Index to Poetry: European and Latin American Poetry in Anthologies REF PN 1022 H627
- Index to Children's Poetry REF PN 1023 B7
- Index to Poetry for Children and Young People REF PN 1023 B72
- Subject Index to Poetry for Children and Young People, 1957-1975 REF PN 1023 S6
- Women's Poetry Index REF PN 1024 G89
- Index to Black Poetry REF PN 1025 C5
- Index to Poetry by Black American Women REF PS 153 N5 C43