This guide was created by Joan Berman, Librarian Emerita, based in part on previous work by Social Sciences Librarian Corryn Crosby-Muilenburg.
Print Reference Sources
Become familiar with these three authoritative reference works. The first one is in its 20th edition with a new edition pending.
- Encyclopedia of Social Work (ref HV 35 S6 2008, 4 volumes)
- Comprehensive Handbook of Social Work and Social Welfare (ref HV 40 .C635 2008, 4 volumes)
- Encyclopedia of Human Behavior (ref BF 31 E5 2012, 2nd ed, 3 vols)
You will find these and more in the Reference Collection - here are the major categories to browse:
HM- Sociology (General)
HN- Social History and Conditions, Social Problems, Social Reform
HQ- The Family, Marriage, Women
HT- Communities, Classes, Races
HV- Social Pathology, Social and Public Welfare, Criminology
Here are two recommended subject encyclopedias available through the subscription database, Gale Virtual Reference Library, at the HSU Library. If you are accessing these from off campus you will be prompted for your (HSU) email address.
- Encyclopedia of Research Design (2010, 3 vols) from Gale
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences (2008, 9 vols) from Gale
Gale Virtual Reference Library Combined search for 120 fulltext reference works from Gale Research.