See also Maps and Atlases: California - Vegetation and Maps and Atlases: California (Northwestern) - Vegetation
Indexes and Guides
- Checklist of Online Vegetation and Plant Distribution Maps (UC Berkeley Earth Sciences and Map Library) Arranged by continent and then country.
- Index to Plant Distribution Maps in North American Periodicals through 1972 (Phillips and Stuckey) 1976 (ref QK 101 P45) Arranged alphabetically by species.
- Index Holmienis (Swedish Museum of Natural History) 1969- (ref QK 11 T73) Multi-volume work still in production that indexes vascular plant distribution maps--local, regional or world-wide--appearing in published scientific literature. Includes plant taxa from family level and below, but mainly at the species level
- International Bibliography of Vegetation Maps (Kuchler) 1965-1980 (ref QK 101 K83 and ref QK 101 K84) Series of 5 geographically arranged volumes giving sources, scale, and legend for each included map.
Atlases and Maps
- Atlas of U.S. Trees (Little) (USDA Miscellaneous Publications #1146, 1293, 1314, 1342, 1361, 1410) (Docs A 1.38: 1146, 1293, 1314, 1342, 1361, 1410) - Six-volume work containing 800 maps showing the natural distribution of native tree species in North America. Digital Representations of Tree Species Range Maps from the "Atlas of United States Trees" contains the same maps in pdf and ArcView shapefile format.
- Oregon Plant Atlas (Oregon Flora Project) Contains distribution maps for all of Oregon’s vascular plants showing where each species showing has been collected or observed in Oregon. One can create maps to show up to six taxa superimposed on one of four background maps--landforms, ecoregions, mean annual precipitation, and county lines. Herbarium specimens, species lists, and other observation records provide information used to place each dot that is mapped. Clicking on a dot reveals the information associated with that record--observer or collector's name, date, locality, habitat and other information. One can also search using the record field parameters.
- USGS HTML Integrated Vegetation Mapping Viewer (US Geological Survey) Interactive mapper that can be used to view a suite of satellite-derived vegetation condition datasets, integrated with information from The National Map data. The vegetation condition information is derived from Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR) data as part of the Conterminous US Greenness Mapping project.. The primary dataset is Greenness based on the Normalized Difference Vegetation Index. The secondary datasets are Relative Greenness, Departure from Average, Fire Potential , Seasonal Greenness and Percent of Seasonal Greenness. The dataset supports wildland fire management, drought monitoring, and agricultural assessment applications.