Skip to main content
CA - Land Use and Ownership Maps
- C-CAP Land Cover Atlas (US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration. Coastal Services Center) Online data viewer provides access to regional land cover and land cover change information for coastal California developed through NOAA’s Coastal Change Analysis Program (C-CAP). Earliest imagery dates from 1996.
- California Federal Public Lands Responsibility Map (US Bureau of Land Management) 1978 (map G 4361 G5 1978 U51; also Docs I 53.11:C12/4) 1:750,000 scale map showing federal, state, and private land ownership in California. For 1:100,000 scale mapping of land ownership in California, see the Surface Management Status series (map G 3701 G5 3100 U5) and the California map index.
- California Protected Areas Database (CPAD) Interactive Map Maps lands held in fee ownership by public agencies and non-profits ranging from national forests to very small urban parks. Federal, state, county, city, special district and non-governmental agency holdings are included.
- California Rivers Assessment (CARA) (International Center for the Environment and California Resources Agency) For each of the 120 river basins in California five maps are available: hydrologic, vegetation, shaded relief, land ownership, and a 1:24,000 quad grid. Other nongraphic watershed statistics and information are also available. IceMaps2 provides interactive mapping capability.
- California Wildland-Urban Interface Maps, Statistics, and GIS Data Download (University of Wisconsin--Madison Silvics Lab) Includes maps on housing density and the wildlife-urban interface using 2000 census block information, along with associated data and gis files.
- Comprehensive Ocean Area Plan General Inventory (California Department of Navigation and Ocean Development) 1971 (Cal Doc N 540 C6p Pt.1 & Pt.2 folio) First major inventory of California's coastal zone prepared in support of the Comprehensive Ocean Area Plan. Two series, each with 127 maps at a scale of 1"=2,000 ft., map and classify California's coastal zone. Part 1: "Land Use/Site Characteristic Inventory" categorizes developed areas into 66 categories and undeveloped areas into 25 categories. Part II: "Land Ownership Inventory" delineates 30 categories of land ownership.
- Land Ownership (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Fire and Resource Assessment Program)
- Management Landscape (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Fire and Resource Assessment Program) Statewide map at a scale of 1:1 million classifies lands into eight predominant land uses.
- National Wetlands Inventory (US Fish & Wildlife Service) (microfiche copies in Docs I 49.6/7-12) Series of maps at scales of 1:24,000 and 1:100,000 for the United States which classify wetlands into 55 different classes using the Classification of Wetlands and Deepwater Habitats of the United States (Cowardin) 1979 (print copy available in Docs I e49.89:79/31). National Wetlands Inventory Maps lists maps available for each state, including California. For additional information see Wetland Mapping and Inventory (US Geological Survey). Wetlands Mapper (US Fish & Wildlife Service) is an interactive mapper that allows one to view National Wetlands Inventory digital data as well as stream and road data. You can also view wetlands digital data using Google Earth and ArcGIS.
- Historical Progression of Development (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Fire and Resource Assessment Program) 2000. Statewide map at a scale of 1:1 million that shows the historical progression of urban and suburban development by decade.
- Public Ownership (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Fire and Resource Assessment Program) 2000. Statewide map at a scale of 1:1 million has shows public land ownership by agency.
- Regional Urbanization Maps (California Department of Conservation) Series of maps that depict land that has become urban since 1984 along with current "important farmland" data. Maps cover Sacramento area, San Francisco Bay region, and the San Joaquin Valley. For additional information see Farmland Mapping and Monitoring Program.